- I build these pickups to order with a 4 week turnaround after receipt of full payment.
- Items listed in stock means I have the parts to build them.
- To order please purchase via the website cart and within 4 weeks I will post out your pickups.
- I will contact you within 3 business days to confirm the build specs.
- Tone cannot be rushed my friends and I won’t rush to cater for the hasty.
- Please contact me prior to purchase for an accurate ETA.
My “Ol Keithy” Tele bridge pickup is based on the old overwound ’50s Fender Lapsteel pickups. Keith Richards apparently owns the World’s stock pile of vintage specimens and all for good reason. I wind these like the originals with 43 AWG Plain enamel wire to 10k to produce a tall thin coil. When fully open this pickup has sharp bite clean and nice and crispy and bitey with drive. Winding back the tone it fattens up giving this pickup a broad tonal range.
I generally reverse wind these with south up poles to phase match my humbuckers. Please leave a note at checkout if you want standard winding.
- Alnico 3 .195 inch magnets ’50s no stagger
- 43 AWG dark plain enamel wire
- Wound to 10k
- Cloth pull back vintage style wire
- Black string
- Copper plated steel baseplate
- Stainless screws and rubber mounts
- Wax potted to prevent feedback
A link to a YouTube clip of Kentucky based Telemaster Mike Nix giving the ‘Ol Keithy a workout, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jrspb1Oo4
A nice little sound clip of the ‘Ol Keithy in action by Aussie Guitarist Steve Perrett in his custom made chambered Thinline Tele. The Keithy is the lead work recorded with Garage bands using the British Clean amp module with some reverb and delay.